Kia India car, SUV exports cross 2.5 lakh unit milestone


Kia, which commenced its Indian operations in August 2019, has shipped over 2.5 lakh locally manufactured vehicles. As per data available with industry body SIAM, till end-April 2024, Kia India has dispatched a total of 2,52,830 units to overseas markets. To date, the Korean brand has launched five vehicles in the domestic market – the Seltos midsize SUV, Sonet compact SUV, Carnival MPV (now discontinued), Carens MPV and the all-electric EV6 SUV. Of these, all – barring the EV6 (which is an import itself) – have been exported.

  1. Kia India exported 52,105 units in FY2024; down 39 percent YoY
  2. Exports account for 21 percent of Kia India’s 12.1 lakh manufactured total
  3. Kia India has also exported 141 units of the Carnival MPV

Kia India’s best fiscal year export performance was in FY2023 when it shipped 85,756 units, up 69 percent year on year (FY2022: 50,864 units) and accounted for 13 percent of the total 6,62,891 passenger vehicles exported from India. In FY2023, Kia India was the third highest passenger vehicle exporter after Maruti Suzuki and Hyundai Motor India. Kia India’s FY2024’s exports at 52,105 units though were down 39 percent YoY (see data table below).

From market entry in August 2019 through to end-April 2024, Kia India has manufactured a total of 1.21 million units (12,12,111 units) produced from its 350,000-units-per-annum factory in Anantapur. Exports at 2,52,830 units comprise 21 percent of the total production with domestic market sales accounting for the remaining 79 percent.

The Seltos midsize SUV, Kia India’s first product and also its best-seller both in the domestic market and exports, tops the export chart with 1,47,615 units and a 58 percent share of total exports to date. The Sonet compact SUV, with 87,779 units, is second and has a 35 percent share of Kia India’s overseas shipments. The Carens MPV, with 17,295 units exported in 27 months, is next and has a 7 percent share of exports. The company had also exported 141 units of the Carnival MPV.

In Kia’s global scheme of things, India, which is currently the fastest growing economy in the world, is a strategically important market and a vital sales, production and R&D hub. A little over four years after Kia India began production, the company’s Anantapur plant is now one of the most critical export hubs in the global Kia network. Demand for utility vehicles and MPVs remains strong and Kia’s made-in-India products are making their presence felt in a number of countries.

Also see:

Kia EV3 electric SUV breaks cover

New Kia Carnival spied completely undisguised in India

Kia Sonet, Seltos and Carens now available on lease

Post a Comment

Post a Comment (0)
To Top